Recipe Wednesday: Strawberry Shortbread!
Delicious Strawberry Shortbread, a must have during a get together!
For the Bread:
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder** (see notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
For the Glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3 cup finely diced strawberries
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or almond extract
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk** (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, milk, oil, egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- In a small bowl, toss together the strawberries and the 2 tablespoons of flour to coat the strawberries. Fold the floured strawberries gently into the batter.
- Pour the bread batter into a greased 9"x5" bread pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center of the bread should come out clean. Allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes, then remove the bread to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, combine the powdered sugar, melted butter, diced strawberries and extract in a small bowl. Mix until it is smooth.
- Once the bread is cool, spread the glaze on top of the bread. Slice and serve.
Elizabeth is a wife to her wonderful husband, a work at home mother to her beautiful little girl and a blogger for some time now. When she isn't spending time with her "Livvybug", or laughing with her husband, she is looking for new review opportunities and writing or singing along to classic rock and pop music!